Chemung Canal
Chemung Canal 1833 - 1878
this photo looking north

 

from Elmira to Watkins Glen

The last days of the Chemung Canal in downtown Elmira. Albumen stereoscopic view by Elisha Van Aken, circa 1872. The canal was filled in (in Elmira) and became State Street around 1874. The canal was still used elsewhere until 1878. By then railroads had taken over completely.
  • Facebook
  • Pinterest

© 2019 by Diane Janowski. All rights reserved.