chemung valley
10 cent certificate from the Village of Elmira in 1862.

george waters newtown creek

Newtown Creek (bridge is at East Church Street). Painted by George W. Waters.

Holsum Bread Company, Elmira, New York. Courtesy Barnes Library.


Nectar Beer took over the Mander's Brewery at the foot of East Church Street.

antique print elmira, ny
An antique view of Elmira from Harpers New York & Erie Railroad Guide, 1851.

sullivan's monument
Sullivan's Monument, a tribute to General John Sullivan,
who eradicated native peoples from our area.

elmira prison
Elmira Reformatory Shops, circa 1920.

breesport church
Breesport Baptist Church. Building still stands.

horseheads zimmerman
Eugene Zimmerman was an artist whose famous cartoon depicts the horses from Horseheads. Many residents find this charming image offensive and the town has stopped using it for promotional purposes.

elmira college
Elmira College, first called the Elmira Female College, was the first college in the US to offer degrees to women that were equal to men's.

gift shop
chemung county history chemung valley history elmira new york
rathbun hotel Arnot Mill - Newtown Creek Holsum

Elmira, New York is My Kind of Town

In 1851, Harpers New York & Erie Railroad Guide gave Elmira the nickname "Queen City of the Southern Tier." A line in their book reads, "This is the queen city along the New York & Erie Railroad and is a good specimen of the towns that seem to exhale from the American soil."
Casino Elks Club
View of Elmira
elmira depot
elmira nectar brewery
Breesport Church
howard johnson's
elmira prison
sullivan's monument
Cowles Hall horse heads

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
MORE- Hometown Elmira

All images courtesy of the Barnes Library

Home | Books | Links | Visitors | Reunions/Events | Gift Shop
| Barnes Library | Facebook
Copyright Chemung County History 1999-2011. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Please email for permission to reprint.
Please visit our Book Store and Gift Shop - they help to sustain this website

web design by Janowski Web Design


The Rathbun Hotel, formerly the Brainerd House on the corner of East Water and Baldwin Streets circa 1910. Now the location of today's Chemung Canal Bank.

parley coburn elmira
Parley Coburn school, now an elementary school on Mount Zoar Street.

howard johnson's horseheads
Howard Johnson's Motel at Westinghouse Circle in Horseheads in the 1950s.
Building still exists as something else.

erie railroad depot
Erie Depot on Railroad Avenue. Building still exists but is not used.

elmira elks club
Elks Club building on East Market Street burned down in the late 1980s.

eldridge park elmira
The Casino in Eldridge Park, circa 1880.


Mount Zoar looking east toward Elmira.

Image is in Greetings fron Elmira Postcard Views 1