elmira free academy
Old Elmira Free Academy at the point of Lake and William Streets circa 1920.
A new school was built and is now Ernie Davis Middle School. EFA moved to
Hoffman Street in the 1960s.

golden glow
A view of Golden Glow looking west - today's Fitch's Bridge area.

Image is in Chemung County Through the Lens Landscapes

creek
A beautiful view of a creek or Chemung River channel circa 1885.

Image is in Chemung County Through the Lens Landscapes

madison avenue bridge
The southern end of the Madison Avenue bridge circa 1900.

circus comes to town
The circus comes to town with a parade down Church Street circa 1890.

centenary church
Centenary Church on the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and South Main Street - recently razed to make way for a Walgreen's.

tom sawyer motel
The Tom Sawyer Motor Inn on Lake Road circa 1955. Check out those cool cars.

erie lackawanna
New Lackawanna tower along Wisner Street. Lackawanna merged with Erie
in 1963 (Erie-Lackawanna).


Arnot Ogden Hospital circa 1920.

lyceum theater
Lyceum Theater on Lake Street -now the area of the
HSBC bank.

gift shop
chemung county history chemung valley history elmira new york


Elmira, New York is My Kind of Town

In 1851, Harpers New York & Erie Railroad Guide gave Elmira the nickname "Queen City of the Southern Tier." A line in their book reads, "This is the queen city along the New York & Erie Railroad and is a good specimen of the towns that seem to exhale from the American soil."

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
MORE - Hometown Elmira

Home | Books | Links | Visitors | Reunions/Events | Gift Shop
| Barnes Library | Facebook
Copyright Chemung County History 1999-2011. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Please email for permission to reprint.
Please visit our Book Store and Gift Shop - they help to sustain this website

web design by Janowski Web Design

langdon plaza
Langdon Plaza, built on the former Langdon Mansion, circa 1947.

richardson shoes
The Richardson Shoe factory on the corner of Railroad Avenue
and East Market Streets, circa 1910. Thomas K. Beecher was
the official timekeeper.

Image is in Greetings from Elmira Postcard Views 1